My first day as an intern at the LSJ/Gannett has finally arrived! I woke up at 6AM so I could eat a healthy breakfast and arrive early to work -ready to take on any task at hand.
Here are some of my recommendations:
1. Set a good first impression and set your alarm clock the night before so you’ll wake up on time. One of the worst things you can do is to arrive late on the first day of your internship. I was there 15 minutes early, and I could tell that my manager was happily surprised.
2. Eat a nutritious breakfast; avoid pancakes, french toast, or pastries. These high sugar foods don’t contain any health benefits and will only make you feel as if you had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner at 7AM. Substitute those carbohydrates with yogurt and fruit, or a spinach omelet with coconut milk on the side. Your body will only thank you later.
3. Listen to high-beat music on your way to work. This will provide you with a sense of energy and self-confidence before entering a new work environment and meeting many strangers. I listened to Tiesto (what else is new), and I was instantly overcome with enthusiasm; techno anytime is better than an energy drink every time.
1. Drink plenty of water. Within hours you will realize how much time has passed and how dehydrated you are. Always bring a reusable water bottle (stainless steel recommended) and replenish your body!
2. Pack a lunch! Sure, it’s nice to eat out, and occasionally you should go out with your co-workers, but by packing a lunch you may learn hundreds of new recipes and you will save the money that you are ultimately working for.
3. Always listen to your manager/co-worker and take notes, yes, TAKE NOTES! Throughout my day I recorded the names of the people I would meet so I would be able to address them properly the following day. I also wrote down everything I learned and how I felt so that I could look back on my notes and recall those moments and information. In five days, months, or even years from now, you will be glad you wrote those thoughts down. I know I will.
1. Relax! Enjoy a nice dinner with family and friends so they could hear all about your first day at your internship!
2. Plan for the next day. Whether it be planning your outfit or organizing your notes- make sure you’re prepared and focused.
3. Get a good night sleep or go out to celebrate. It’s your call! Good night!